January is National Soup Month, and to celebrate Dr. Phillippi shared some of her favorite healthy soup recipes that are perfect for family dinners. See below for the recipes:
White Bean Chili
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, sliced into strips
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 – 14 oz. cans chicken broth
- 2 – 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes, undrained (optional)
- 2 – 4 oz. cans chopped green chilis
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 – 15 oz. cans great Nothern beans, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen white shoepeg corn
- Garnishes – Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, chopped green onions, salsa, and/or fresh cilantro
- In a skillet, sauté chicken strips in oil until lightly browned. Let cool and cut into small chunks.
- In the same skillet, sauté onion, celery, and garlic until soft. Transfer sautéed vegetables to a stockpot.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, green chilis, lime juice, cumin, oregano, cilantro, cayenne pepper, beans, and corn. Bring to a boil and add chicken.
- Reduces heat to low, simmer until ready to serve. top with your choice of garnishes.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 – 30 oz. jar meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 – 14 oz. can beef broth, undiluted
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 – 10 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 – 15 oz. can mixed vegetables
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, brown ground beef, onion, and garlic, stirring to crumble. Drain.
- Add sauce, broth, water, celery, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes and vegetables. Return to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
NOTE – recipe may be doubled, but do not double the diced tomatoes with green chilis.